General George S. Patton carries a legendary reputation for his contributions to the development of tank doctrine in the 1920s and 1930s and his aggressive leadership in North Africa and Europe during World War II.
For a comprehensive chronicle of his life, his bio here is a good place to start.
In addition to his combat leadership in World War I and World War II, he also competed in the 1912 Summer Olympics which is a feat that’s unlikely to ever be matched by another American general.
Much like the quotes of Chesty Puller, many of General Patton’s most notable sayings have survived through the years to be as well-known as his exploits on the battlefield — the fact that a few were memorialized in this famous scene from the 1970 film Patton surely hasn’t hurt:
Here are our top ten General Patton quotes, including several that didn’t turn up in the movie.
1. “A good plan violently executed right now is far better than a perfect plan executed next week.”
2. “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.”
3. “Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.”
4. “Do more than is required of you.”
5. “A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood.”
6. “Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.”
7. “If a man has done his best, what else is there?”
8. “If everyone is thinking alike then somebody isn’t thinking.”
9. “No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country.”
10. “May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t.”
If you liked these quotes take a look at some of our Bullet Bottle Openers which can be custom engraved with any of these quotes or a name, birthdate, or the text of your choice.